India is home to nearly 120 million adolescent girls, the largest of this cohort in the world.
Most of them might never reach their full potential just because they are girls.
Adolescent girls are key to a sustainable future and a pathway out of poverty. Discriminatory gender norms leave them with less parental support for schooling, time-consuming domestic chores and roles, and high risks of child marriage, adolescent motherhood, and violence.
Investing in them can:
A literate mother has more chances of surviving pregnancy and giving birth to a healthy child.
A female-dominant workforce can elevate the capacity of India’s GDP.
With greater autonomy, adolescents are more likely to lead healthier and more productive lives as adults, thus breaking the cycle of intergenerational poverty.
When adolescent girls are educated and supported, they can contribute to sustainable practices, advocate for environmental protection, and drive innovation towards a greener future.
Inequality in Education
Against Women & Girls
- Delivering life skills education
- Giving access to digital infrastructures
- Providing mentoring support
- Awarding educational scholarships
- Collectivising girls at the grassroots
- Creating safe spaces
- Instigating community engagement
“I have seen girls in my community get married off after they pass 8th grade because they are considered a burden to the family but this mentality is centuries old and I am fighting to change it. I have stopped three child marriages and I will continue to stop more.”
Girl Icon Alumna, Priya
Build a Movement
of Girl Leaders
an adolescent girl for 18 months through the
Girl Icon Program.
Build a Movement of Girl Leaders
An investment of INR 3,500 or USD 45 supports an adolescent girl for 18 months through the Girl Icon Program.
- A five-year association where the Girl Icon Alumni make a valuable contribution to the growth of the Girl Icon Program, their communities, and the larger society along with mentoring new Girl Icons.
- Mobilising girls to drive positive change by helping them grow socially and professionally.
- Providing alumni with the right resources, opportunities, educational scholarships, and safe spaces to help them achieve their goals.